[DMCForum] OT: D fuel pump in my VW Rabbit....help!

[DMCForum] OT: D fuel pump in my VW Rabbit....help!

Ok, the only D related thing here is i'm using a Delorean fuel pump
in my 84 rabbit.

I installed the pump last night, went to crank the Rabbit over and it
sputtered then died.  I hear the fuel pump buzzing so I thought just
try a couple more times and see what happens.  It sputters then
dies.  I added more gas to the tank....sputters and dies.  I start to
notice that the buzzing from the pump isn't always a
nice...bzzzzzzzzzz. It buzzes but then rattles and grinds.  Is this
normal?
I have a couple of questions.

Do you think the fuel pump is bad?
Could the different model number of the pump be causing this?
D's can run with the Rabbit pump installed...shouldn't it be the same
for the Rabbit with a D pump installed?
What would be the symptoms of a bad check valve?

I'm soooooo close to getting this Rabbit on the road.  I was hopeing
I wouldn't have to buy a $100 fuel pump.  Thoughts?