Re: [DMCForum] odometer tampering was :Re: Asshat alert

Re: [DMCForum] odometer tampering was :Re: Asshat alert

Actually, it would take 69 days at 60MPH.  A properly inflated 195/60R14
will turn about 870 times a mile, so that's 870RPM on a drill.  Even a
crappy drill (or should I say especially a crappy drill) can do 2,250RPM,
however, this would mean that the car would be doing 155MPH.  Who knows
how the speedometer would work after that.  It would bring the time down
to ~27 days.
Lets keep in mind that no one would do this if their odometer was 0
miles, so let's assume that it had at least 50k-75k miles on it.  That
brings it down to 7-13 days.

It'd probably just be easier to crack open the odometer.

Jim

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:14:27 -0000 "aaron_t_graham"
<aaron_t_graham@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> It's not hard to sabotage an odometer, right?  Just unplug the
> speedometer cable and hook it up to an electric motor.  With a fast
> electric motor, you could make it turn through 100,000 miles in just
>
> a few days.
>
> As far as I know, on cars that are as old as the DeLorean, anything
> you do to odometer is nice and legal, as long as you mark the
> mileage
> as "exempt" in the official paperwork when you sell it.  Or you
> could
> just play stupid.
>
> Of course, if the seller sabotaged his odometer, he didn't give his
> future buyer much credit.  He should have at least put 20,000 miles
> on the thing...and reset the trip meter...
>
> Aaron
>

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > In other news: Carfax's free service says it's an invalid VIN, but
>
> I've
> > verified that it is correct. What gives? Does Carfax only give
> errors if
> > you don't pay them? :P
> >
> > I also looked at the close-up picture of the odometer on this
> vehicle,
> > and since the first zero is off-axis, I'd say that there are over
> 100k
> > on this car. That having been said, it's in good shape for its
> age!
> What
> > a shame DMC didn't think of putting 6-digit odometers on their
> vehicles
> > -- if JZD was meaning to make a car that would last longer than
> most,
> > why didn't he allow for more than 100k? LOL
> >
> > OK, back to work. Fundraising. Joy. LOL
> >
> > - Farrar

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used