[DMCForum] Re: Hub Cap Theory

Perhaps they lost or broke their hubcaps if they do work on their car
(brake work).  Its a cheap repair if you do it yourself, and not
everyone has a hubcap puller.  I know I've broken a few in the past.
Just a thought.

Erik

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand@xxxx>
wrote:
> Simple:  Generally, the more money you make, the more you are
concerned about appearances.  Hubcaps serve little function aside
from aesthetics, and therefore are not replaced when lost by folks on
lower incomes, who are not as concerned about appearances.

> Same reason why most folks who make more money wear nicer shoes
and/or have nicer haircuts.  Function generally overrides form for
those on lesser incomes.

> -Dave

about this. I hope this post does not offend anyone but since I was a
young whipper snapper this has made me curious. maybe "Vixen" Dave
can put in his two cents or perhaps our DMC owners accross the
Atlantic can comment if this persists in their country.

>   Why is it that less fortunate people with lower incomes have cars
that are missing all or most of their hubcaps?  :-) I have noticed
for some time that in nice neighborhoods motor vehicles seem to have
all 4 hubcaps. Whenever I visis job sites of students in lower income
areas almost every car seems to be missing at least one but usually
all 4 hubcaps?

>   Is this becasue hubcaps know how much their owners make? Is it
that the strength of the clips that hold these things on are directly
tied to the earning power of the owner? Or perhaps these owners
prefer the look of the black tire rim??? I guess also if one hub cap
falls off it is more economical for them to take the other 3 off then
to purchase a new one :-)....Perhaps in an effort to save money they
have found a better household use for them then wasting them on their
tire rims? Maybe the local kids take them and sell them on ebay?

>   While driving today in a not so nice neigborhood nearly every car
was missing their hub caps. At one point I almost wound my window
down to ask one owner where all his hub caps went?...However, I
decided against such action...There is even a man who has profited
from this hub cap dillema. In a not-so-nice area there is a roadside
shop called "Hub Cap City" where owners can brouse through thousands
of stray caps looking for their long lost match.

>   Any one of our automotive historians that that wants to chime in
on my theory I would like your comments :-)