Re: [DMCForum] Re: turbo(s)...

Good design.  They "borrowed" many of the ideas Legend
had when building the factory twin turbo.  Island even
used the same IHI turbos.

Keep the boost under 6Lbs, and even with that
(IMHO)you risk damage to the engine.

I probably should not say this because I plan on
selling the Island kit I have some day, but I have yet
to see any STOCK DeLorean with a turbo kit that is not
blowing oil out of the crank case.

With the engine running, put your hand over the oil
filer.  My experience has been that all of the turbo
kits (and even a few beat non-modified PRV's) have a
significant amount of air flow out of that hole.  This
is not how it should be, there should be no pressure
in the crank case.  If there is, it is a sign of some
other problems.  I suspect all of the engines with
turbo kits I have checked have this problem due to
worn rings, or some other internal problem that allows
the compression to leak by and get in to the crank
case.  Funny thing is, my Island engine was still
running quite well before I removed it, even though
when I got on it the pressure in the crank case got so
high that it blew oil out of the filler and on to the
turbo (right below it) and twice had a small fire
(just the oil burning).  Good thing I had an
extinguisher.

FWIW, My Legend built turbo engine is running 8Lbs of
boost, and has none of these problems.  According to
Fred Dellis, this engine could handle quite a bit more
boost... but I have no desire to risk damage to a
engine I cannot repair (easily).  The internals of the
Legend engine is VERY different than the stock DMC
engine.