RE: [DMCForum] AR DMC?

I wholeheartedly agree with this point of view. Especially if you are
getting started in the business.

As a young freelance musician, I once considered taking a job for no money,
because I thought it would be good publicity. My trumpet instructor wisely
told me: NEVER do anything for free. Once you do it -- and you only have to
do it once --  you'll get the reputation of somebody who gives something for
nothing. This is a bad reputation from a financial standpoint. Perhaps you
could offer a discounted rate for DMC-12 owners, but I'd keep it on the
Q.T. -- don't advertise it, but make sure they know they're getting a good
deal when they come to you. (Perhaps their receipt has a "DeLorean Discount"
on it.)

In my case the trick was to ask the church what they could AFFORD to pay.
They were very gracious and admitted that they wanted to hear me play after
having a good recommendation. Now I play there on a regular basis, and my
pay continues to increase as my services become more in demand. And in my
case, this is good as it speeds me on my way to buying a DeLorean. (After
Uncle Sam takes his cut of course -- few churches pay cash to musicians.)

Lesson learned: People pay for what they can afford. In my business, it
means the difference between a $150 wedding and a $300 wedding. In your
business, I'm sure it means a lot more! See what other people charge for
similar services, and then make your rates competitive. Then perhaps offer
services that competitors do not -- but at a price worthy of the services
you offer, and that ensures profit.

I'm not in marketing, but it's my opinion. Greg has it right.

Wisdom after three dry martinis brought to you by

Farrar Hudkins
New Orleans, LA