From: cruznmd [mailto:racuti1@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 12:28 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Rusted TAB

The diagnosis from the shop so far, is that the bushing was still in
good shape, the bolt came right out of that. The remnant in the T.A.
is really stuck though.

The myth: The mechanic feels that the material of the T.A. is thin
and he didn't want to heat it too much and risk damage. He also felt
that the bolts holding the T.A. to the carrier were so rusted that
they would snap if he tried to remove the T.A.

The fact: I called Rob Grady. Rob says they're done hundreds of TAB's
and T.A.'s and never snapped a arm/carrier bolt. He also says the arm
will take a lot more heat than you think and I shouldn't worry about
applying too much, just get it re-finished afterwards so it doesn't
rust. He claims that applying a ball-joint press might deform it and
recommends against it.

I trust Rob. I'd like to hear from some of you to see if you also
agree before I tell the mechanic to proceed.

Thanks,

Rich

  _____