Re: [DMCForum] Something to fix...

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Samuel wrote:

> What would be some reasons for first gear to be hard to shift into. It
> doesnt grind, and will go in if the car is not moving, but if it is
> moving slightly, it is a hard push to go in. Any thoughts? My arm is
> starting to feel it from the hard shift.

Most manuals are difficult if not impossible to shift into first gear when
the car is moving, unless you double clutch the shift.

Read http://www.driversedge.com/dblcltch.htm and start practicing.  The
DMC transmission is actually very easy to double clutch.

Don't force the car into first gear like it sounds like you're doing.
You'll either trash the synchomesh or bend the shift fork.

-andrew