Re: [DMCForum] Replacement Windshield

I understand that the DeLorean windshield is unique to the
DeLorean.  There are no cross-references with any other car.
But I am surprised by the cut & hack that Martin mentioned!

Probably the easiest option is to buy one from DMC/Texas.
Hope that it don't get broke in transit, but if it does,
there won't be a problem with getting another shipped
quickly.  Expect to see some separation on the bottom edge.
Apparently all the NOS ones have a bit of this in two
places, but it's not serious.  Some have DMC logos, some
don't.  If this is important for you then ask about it when
ordering.

The alternative is http://www.pilkington.com/ at
1-800-848-1351
And their part number for a DeLorean windshield is FW541
There are two versions.  One has a green tint; the other has
a bronze tint (matching the original).  I'm not sure if the
different colors have different part numbers.

The last time I checked, they were out of stock.  The guy I
talked to said to call back in 6 months to see if they made
a new batch yet.  I doubt they have since he said they need
to make 100 per run to make it worth their while.  I doubt
they would ever sell that many.

What you said about your windshield cracking in the lower
corner concerns me.  Try running your fingernail (or
whatever else works if you bite your nails too short :-) to
check the gap of the side molding top-to-bottom.  If the gap
is tighter at the bottom than at the top (which seems to be
all too typical) then this is a likely cause of why the
windshield broke in the first place.  If you install a new
windshield and put the molding back on the same way....
guess what?  You are fucked.  I know this from experience.
Straighten out that molding while you have a broken
windshield in there that doesn't matter.

Walt