From: Andrew [mailto:aos+yahoo@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2004 6:06 PM
To: dmcforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Steering rack adventures

Okay, I replaced the steering rack today, but things didn't go quite as
smoothly as I'd planned, so hopefully I can get a litte input from some
who have been there...

1) It seems to be impossible to get my steering wheel to line up in its
default position.  If I line the steering wheel up, the wheels are off by
enough that one of the two tie rod ends has to be run waaaaaay out, and
the other one cannot go far enough in to correct the error on that side.
Spinning the wheel 360 degrees generates the same problem in the opposite
direction.

Because of the flat sections on the splines in the universal joint, there is
only one way (per 360 degree revolution) that the joint can be assembled.
Once assembled in any of the possible ways, however, the adjustment
necessary to generate some semblance of alignment is beyond the range of the
adjustable parts.

Am I missing something basic here?  Or is this rebuilt rack manufactured
differently enough from the old one that the wheel needs to be pulled and
reinstalled?  I don't particularly mind if that's what I have to do, as
I'd really like to get it recovered anyway.

2) Hopefully I've just done a poor job of eyeballing the alignment, but
when I try to drive down the street (having reconnected everything nicely
with the steering while simply turned about 120 degrees wrong), the car
has a very strong desire to steer extremely quickly toward the nearest
curb.  Is this just the result of too much toe out?

3) I seem to have big camber problems.  This isn't really related to the
steering rack install, but now is when I noticed it.  When I pulled off the
wheels, I saw that my tires are worn very unevenly, almost entirely on the
inside, and once I buttoned everything back up and looked, it looks like my
camber is about two degrees negative, which is way more than what it should
be (manual says 0.5).  The worrying part of this, however, is that camber is
not adjustable on this car.  Anyone know what's wrong here?

Thanks.

-andrew

To visit your group on the web, go to: