[DMCForum] Re: Fridge Run Specials

> - My steering rack needs serious attention - steering is
squirrely,
> torn boots, the whole nine yards.

Well, that's basically a matter of money for parts.  If your
boots are torn then the rack is probably dry.  I have a
sneaking suspicion that you are on a tight budget, so I'll
tell you what I did to another guy's car.  The boot was
torn, so I repositioned it so that the tear is facing up
(too keep the oil in).  Then I wrapped a plastic trash bag
over it and tie-wrapped it on both ends.  It has been on
there for a few thousand miles now and doing nicely.

Last I heard is that steering racks are in very short
supply, and those who can rebuild them are very picky about
the condition of the core you give in exchange.

> - Update fuel sender (so it works reliably).

This is another matter of buying the part and installing it.
It's not hard to do.

> - Trailing arm bolts need inspecting (unsure if previous
owner did
> this).

This is my specialty now.  I need a bigger stock of extra
bushings & washers.

> - Four new tires, balance & shocks needed.

I have had great luck with Michelin Pilots from
Tirerack.com.  I know a guy with Firestones on his D and
hates them.  Front shocks are easy.  Rear shocks take
longer.  Before I would spend money on new shocks, I would
replace the front springs.

> - Fabricate lexan windows to replace broken power glass.

Are you serious?  Unless you can shape the lexan to have the
proper curve, I bet it would be really hard to keep it
adjusted on track.  But then you could keep it as a fixed
window.

> - Need glass windshield for safety (currently plexi).

Okay, I suppose you are serious about plastic windows. :-)
I _hate_ windshields.  I still have 3 broken ones and one
stained one from DMCH that I haven't resolved yet.  James
Espey & I agreed that I would put the stained one on eBay
and donate proceeds to the Michael J Fox Foundation.  In
order to be fair with James, I need to sell it on eBay.  If
you are interested, I can get off my ass and put it up for
auction soon.  If you are the high bidder then we could save
shipping and install it on your car.  I'm sure the stain
will clean off because it appears to be rust from a roof
leak.  But my worry is that it could leave a texture in the
glass that would show up whenever it fogs.

I have other windshields, but those are spoken for unless
you seriously twist my arm.  It is a big pain in the ass to
have windshields shipped and then to find out that they were
broken in transit or defective to begin with.

According to the directions for the 3M adhesives, the car
should sit stationary for 24 hours before driving.  So if we
did it on your car, it would probably have to be on your
return trip (or are you coming from the south?)  I didn't
buy the adhesive for the only D windshield that I have
installed to date, and I don't know where to go to get it.

Walt