[DMCForum] ATTN: Walt (Ford A/C Suction Throttling Valve)

[DMCForum] ATTN: Walt (Ford A/C Suction Throttling Valve)

Thought about you when I saw this pic on eBay last night:

http://i17.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/11/28/2f_1.JPG

This is what Ford used at least to mid 1980's to meter freon *AFTER*
the evaporator. Responds to suction on the low side, not high side
pressure. Very different from GM, but works like a charm. Big vapor
line passes through the valve. Red cap on the bottom is a liquid
bypass line from the bottom of the evaporator if system ices up
(usually caused by stuck open expansion valve, which is itself NOT the
metering device -- just kicks off refrigeration cycle then closes).
Black cap is a gauge port for the valve only, NOT a shrader valve for
the low side in general.

Note that 1979 and later STV's are slightly smaller and will not fit
lines on 1978 and earlier vehicles.

Here's a rude surprise: In 1979 Ford eliminated the low side shrader
valve. Unless you retrofit with an earlier style line, is no way to
charge A/C system from cans. Can NOT do it through the gauge port on
the STV. Apparently Ford wanted you to use a pressurized machine that
measured freon as a liquid then pumped in through high side. I simply
replaced low side plumbing on my 1979 Lincoln with a line from a 1972
Galaxy. And note: that A/C system is my tightest! (Puts to rest any
rumors that rubber A/C hoses can't withstand age).

Bill Robertson

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: