From: "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxxxxx>
To: "DMCForum" <DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 2:41 AM
Subject: [DMCForum] Urgent brake problem

> I just replaced the master cylinder on Jim Sleeth's car, and
> it don't work.  Jim bought a rebuilt master cylinder from
> NAPA.  We bench bled it, connected the lines, bled the
> calipers in the proper order, etc.  Everything looks normal,
> no fluid leaking anywhere.  If we let the system sit for
> more than 15 seconds and then step on the pedal, it almost
> goes to the floor.  With about 3 more pumps, it firms up
> properly and stays firm for as long as we continue to pump
> it.  But if we let it sit for more than 15 seconds then the
> pedal goes soft again.  Apparently we just got a bad
> cylinder from NAPA.  The original cylinder was leaking, so
> that was the reason for getting into it.
>
> Can anyone say what could possibly be wrong in a master
> cylinder to cause this?  Or could we be overlooking
> something else?  I don't see how trapped air could cause
> this symptom.  We bled the system by the good old-fashioned
> two person way.  Jim pumped the pedal while I turned the
> bleed screws.  We used up two pints of Castrol GTLMA dot 4
> because we wanted to thoroughly flush out some Dot 3 he
> dumped in there to make the car temporarily drivable (after
> the reservoir went dry due to the old leaky master).  The
> Dot 3 never touched the new master.  If it caused a problem
> in the calipers, I suppose they would hang up or leak.  But
> it isn't doing this.
>
> Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cqqogri/M=266841.4316200.5507732.1261774/D=egro
upweb/S=1705126215:HM/EXP=1072963857/A=1911856/R=0/*http://www.lifescapein
c.com/picasa/landing.php?capid=222&caId=1985> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=266841.4316200.5507732.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1911856/rand=439732963>

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: