[DMCForum] Re: Juley's 258 (Dave Stragand) Part II [OT]

[DMCForum] Re: Juley's 258 (Dave Stragand) Part II [OT]

You're thinking about the 196. That's an engine Nash brought into new
company from goodness only knows how far back. I know it wasn't
overhead valve until after the merger. Also morphed into an aluminum
block that failed miserably.

Flush with success after winning Motor Trend's 1963 Car of the Year
(entire Rambler lineup), AMC introduced 232 inch inline 6 as
relacement for 196 -- using same head and pistons! Big deal was its 7
crankshaft bearings (other manufacturers used four bearings on their
inline 6's). When emissions hit, AMC simply increased height of 232
head to make 258. Again, pistons remained unchanged. Slightly longer
connecting rods were used to reach up to new head. HP dropped 25%, but
torque only went down 13% (THAT's why I don't get too strung out about
130 HP DeLoreans -- it's all about torque). Chrysler stuck a fuel
injected head on 258 after the purchase and continued to use well into
the 1990's. I have personally seen a mid 90's Cherokee with a 258.

So I guess you could say Juley has ancient pistons and what is
essentially a 1950's head. Block and crank are fairly recent.

Ever considered de-emissioning the thing...

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand@xxxx>
wrote:
> If I recall, this is basically the same "I 6" (eye-six) that has been in
> Nashes since the 19-teens, correct?

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: