From: Andrew [mailto:aos+yahoo@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 4:55 PM
To: dmcforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DMCForum] Re: Andrew's Idle

A little more information about my idle...  Today I drove around for a
while
(with the idle microswitch disabled) and was idling very nicely at a
manually set 995 rpm.  I decided that upon getting home, I would see what
happens at idle under heavy electrical load, so I pulled into the driveway
and turned on the headlights and air conditioner with the fan at maximum,
and the engine started hunting +/- 500 rpm or so.  Is this evidence of a
non-ECU-related problem, or is it simply typical behavior of a manually
set
idle that's being dragged down by heavy load?

Something else occurred to me...  This engine really doesn't like idling
below 995 rpm because of the hot cam.  If I get a fixed idle ECU, won't it

try to idle my engine at 775, which isn't enough to run well?  For that
matter, is it possible that my idle ECU is, in fact, properly trying to
idle at 775 and that's low enough that the engine starts to hunt just like

the manually set idle under heavy load?  I could be totally off-base with
both of these ideas, but these are just some things I've been thinking
over.

What's involved in getting the ECU to control idle at something other than

775 rpm?  I am reasonably good with electronics and I'm not afraid of
soldering PCBs...

-andrew

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: