[DMCForum] Re: Mike's A/C

Unclogged a throttle suctioning valve (Ford's alternative to orifice
tube) by blowing air through it backwards. Can do that on my Lincolns
by simply turning compressor manifold upside down and leaving valve
loose on high side attachment point. Tried that on Mike's car but
unfortunately is a physical obstruction (high side pipe bent wrong?
Can't remember exactly). That's why I suggested Rich go over there
with his honest to goodness air compressor.

We only messed with Mike's car for about 15 minutes BTW. Was late at
night after struggling with Rich's transmission in the rain (Kmart
floor jack with bricks to increase cradle height). Have mentioned it
since but he seems content to wait for you. Just remember that the
system will be rusting inside while he waits...

Have you ever studied one of those R134 conversion kits? Instructions
don't even mention pulling a vacuum -- simply suck new freon in and
go. Must be a lot of motorists committing bigger sin than me...

Totally unrelated topic: how did you let Message #9425 slip by without
comment? That should have you dancing around shop for weeks. Appears
Martin was correct -- my pistons 2mm taller than F series.

You've picked up bit of an edge lately -- don't forget we agreed to
disagree.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Okay Bill -- one last try on the a/c issue.
>
> Please go buy yourself a copy of the Haynes Techbook,
> Automotive Heating & Air Conditioning.  Lord Gary suggested
> I buy a copy, and it is the best a/c investment I have ever
> made.  This book gets very specific about pulling a proper
> vacuum on a system before charging it.  First, being able to
> pull a proper vacuum is a diagnostic to verify that the
> system has no leaks.  Second, it is extremely critical for
> boiling all the moisture out.  This book has a chart showing
> what vacuum you should expect at any given altitude.  I just
> flipped through the book looking for it, but shit fire &
> save matches.  I'm taking Gary's advice.  Go get your own
> copy.  Moisture won't start to evaporate until it approaches
> a hard vacuum.  Anything below 28mmHG isn't even close
> enough.  So when you go bragging that a 17mmHG vacuum is
> good enough, that is just total bullshit.
>
> Yes, when we talked at the last SEDOC and I complained about
> the way you serviced your a/c, your response was that your
> system is working great; therefore, there is nothing wrong
> with it.  Well yeah, okay.  You could probably piss in the
> system, charge it up and still have it work.  The problem is
> that residual moisture will react with the refrigerant, turn
> acidic and cause all kinds of problems.
>
> And a cute little blunder you pulled on Mike Cohee's a/c
> system is that you tried to flush it with a solvent, but you
> flushed it through the accumulator, clogged the orifice tube
> and left it that way.  I am trying to resist the urge to
> call you a (well can't resist) YOU FUCKING IDIOT! (ah, I
> feel much better now, thank you.)  And I still like you.  If
> I were stuck on the Apollo capsule and needed to make an air
> filter out of notebook covers & tape, I would definitely
> want you there.  But I wouldn't have you anywhere near the
> thing before takeoff.  :-)
>
> Walt

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: