Re: [DMCForum] Re: Andrew's Idle

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Walter Coe wrote:

> Andrew, this sounds like you have a bad idle speed ECU.

I was thinking something along these lines, but wasn't sure.  The
electronic idle system on this car is one thing I really haven't learned
much about yet, but since most of what I have learned about various things

is from tinkering and troubleshooting, I guess now is the time.  :-)

Since the car will idle just fine with purely mechanical settings (i.e.
not tripping the microswitch), I'm figuring this is probably not a mixture

problem, CPR problem, or vacuum leak.

I'm still curious as to what about the new plugs and wires caused my
hunting problem to move from when the engine is cold to when it's warm.
It was a lot easier to ignore the problem when I knew it would go away in
a few minutes.  :-)

Is there any harm in setting a manual idle until I get something done
about the ECU?  (I just won't try to pass inspection with it...)

> I think John Hervey does this fix on a swap basis.

Sounds like good preventive maintenance regardless.  Even if this isn't
the issue right now, it'd be nice to rule it out and know that the idle
ECU will be good for the foreseeable future.

My air filture element is due for replacement, and I'd like to put in the
nice washable filter John sells, so I need to send him some more money
anyway.  :)

John, I don't find any reference to the idle ECU rebuild on your site.  Do

you do it, and do you think it sounds like something worth doing in this
case?

-andrew

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: