Re: [DMCForum] Re: Farrar's Truck [OT]

I had that noise just before i threw a U-Joint.

Mark

On Thursday, December 11, 2003, at 12:53 PM, Farrar Hudkins wrote:

> Bill:
>
> > Humming sounds like drive train, not valve train.
>
> I agree. Makes me nervous.
>
> > If oil not lubricating, valve train should clatter and bang, not hum.
>
> Never had that in this truck, fortunately.
>
> > (Note: could be stopped up oil passages rather than watery oil).
> >
> > I'd check wheel bearings, U joints, differential, and transmission.
> > Could also simply be tires -- all season and off road treads
> > significantly noisier than touring tread.
>
> I did get new tires recently, but the humming follows RPMs precisely
> regardless of gear. I can sometimes feel the humming through the
> steering wheel at idle because of the low frequency. To make a dorky
> music analogy, the humming is in the Tenor range. :\
>
> Perhaps I should describe it as a whirring noise instead of a hum. It
> goes "errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" like a blonde girl trying to decide
> between Bud Light and Michelob Light while being stared down by a
> spiky-haired waiter named Jim. In neutral or park, when the accelerator
> pedal is depressed, the whirring gets higher-pitched, and when I let
> off
> the pedal, the pitch drops. When in forward or reverse, same happens,
> plus it holds steady while the car is at speed, unless I have to go up
> hill, in which case the pitch goes up as the revs go up, or when I'm
> coasting, in which case the pitch goes down as the revs go down.
>
> Hang on, I have a thought ... do they still use harmonic balancers in
> vehicles?
>
> > Re: light weight oil -- SAE 30 generally recommended by manufacturers
> > down to 32 degrees. That pretty much covers all of us southerners.
> > IMHO no real problem for few nights it drops into 20's.
>
> 10W-30 is what it says on that little sticker just in front of the
> engine. Hm.
>
> > FWIW: racing crowd generally runs single viscosity 40 and 50 weights.
> > But their engines operating in totally different environment.
>
> True. I feed my truck 89 octane fuel anyhow. Runs like a rickshaw on
> crack if I give it anything higher or lower octane.
>
> > Do you change own oil? Need to, especially on a (full size) truck.
> > Don't even jack up. Can change mine less than 20 minutes. Motorcraft
> > FL1 filter costs less than even a house brand. City recycles old oil
> > back in bottles to burn in garage furnace (curbside pickup). Only
> > procedure easier to perform is filling gas tank (but costs nearly 4
> > times as much!).
>
> I do, but the trick is to remember to back into the space. Our parking
> is "off-street" but that really means "perpendicular to street, facing
> sidewalk." And after a few oil changes, I have to buy a new shirt. :P
>
> Bill, it'd be nice to troubleshoot this off-list so the moderators
> don't
> kick ... oh, wait. Never mind. :)
>
> Thanks,
> Farrar

<image.tiff>

Come see all of my Photo's at my Website.
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cu233fv/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egro
upweb/S=1705126215:HM/EXP=1071275956/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com
/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116732> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1853619/rand=710744456>