Re: [DMCForum] temperature gauge improved...sort of

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Walter Coe wrote:

> If that inverter works like I think it does then half the time it throws
> a positive spike and the other half of the time it throws a negative
> spike.  A diode can only shunt negative spikes.

That's a good point.  Could explain why the problem seems to be lessened
with the diode, but not solved completely.  (Although that still doesn't
explain why the needle is migrating over a long period when the car is
off...)

> I think that the roll pin is a good idea.  But still the gauge shouldn't
> jump or bounce.  At least that's what I think.

True.  I know I'd be treating a symptom, but sometimes that's the right
thing to do anyway...

> If the weight of extra paint on the needle were enough to unbalance it
> then the movement would be so sensitive that it would be
> bouncing/vibrating at every bump in the road.

...unless it's in the presence of a magnetic field holding it in place.
It could be a very sensitive movement that's held in place strongly enough

by the coil not to move, but which, once the coil loses power, spins very
easily.  I never really noticed how easily it moves in the absence of
power.

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, timnagin wrote:

> Does your VOM have a max hold?

Yeah, it does.  Pretty decent resolution, too (250 uS).  It's not seeing
anything out of the ordinary.

-andrew

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1754452/R=0/SIG=11tpoan5t/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6