[DMCForum] Re: Suspension Options for the DeLorean

[DMCForum] Re: Suspension Options for the DeLorean

Hi Ben, I have messed around with different spring/shock combinations, so
I'll say what I know about each:

> DMC Original Springs

You just got through saying that you want to make changes AND not do a cut
&
hack, so the original springs for you are not an option.

> DMCH Performance Springs

I bought a set of these and have not had time (or compressor tool) to put
these on.  They look nice, are most expensive option out there, and were
designed by a British company custom for DMCH.

> PJ Grady Performance Front Springs

I have these on my car right now.  I think they cost me $190 + shipping.
good inexpensive way to go if you are happy with your rear springs and
just
want to put the nose where it belongs. (Does that sound Freudian?)

> DMC Original Shock Absorbers

These are probably the last thing you want.  Someone bought a NOS set of
shocks for damn near what they could have bought DMCH's new custom shocks.
These shocks were made with '80s technology, and there have been lots of
improvements since then.  These get stiffer as they get older.  How this
happens is that sediment precipitates out of the oil and sticks to the
cylinder wall.  This makes the cylinder effectively smaller and makes more
friction.  Or at least this is what Byrne Henninger told me at the last
SEDOC.

> DMCH Performance Shock Absorbers

This is what I have on my car now.  These were designed by the same
British
outfit that makes the DMCH springs.  The springs & shocks are made to be
used together for optimum results (so they say).  These shocks don't have
any cover/shield for the rod.  It is just exposed.  The shock bodies are
thicker than OEM.  These shocks are noticeably softer than OEM & PJ Grady.
The fronts are too soft when matched to the PJ Grady front springs.  Fit
is
excellent and so is the engineering.  They also are blessedly silent when
in
operation.  The ride is definitely a sports feel and not a touring car.
But
I have yet to test them with the matched springs.  Height is not
adjustable,
but if paired with their springs then it puts the rear height where it
should be.  With OEM springs it puts the ride height at OEM, and this is
about 1/2" higher than optimum.

> PJ Grady Performance Shock Absorbers

I had these on my car and took them off because I didn't like them.  The
first thing I noticed was much improved ride comfort.  They seemed to take
the edge off of the bumps.  They are height adjustable, so you can lower
the
rear by 1/2".  This is nice.  What I didn't figure out until later was
that
they are extremely noisy.  They squeak at every bump in the road.  A quick
demonstration of this is to just grab the rear wheel well and shake the
car.
I did this to Rob's green car, and it squeaked as bad as mine.  There were
few engineering mistakes made with these shocks.  The shanks are too long
which prevent the bushings from being properly compressed to 20 ft-lbs.
The
lower bushings are too soft.  This is a problem on the rears because most
of
the car's rear weight is resting on these bushings.  With a little use
they
wear out and become sloppy.  Probably the most remarkable thing to say
about
these shocks at this time is that Rob is sold out.  So don't worry about
the
above unless you already own a set.  I am sure that Rob will resolve all
these issues with his next batch.

> Mid-State DMC Touring Shock Absorbers

Another option I saw Marty offering with these is a set of four springs
for
cheap.  I'm curious to know who make these and how they differ from DMCH's
set of four.  He has done a lot of experimenting with shock absorbers.  I
think that what he is currently selling is Monroe.  There are minor fit
issues that he compensates for on the front.  For the rear he custom
machines an aluminum collar that clamps around the lower shock body.  The
spring & cup ride on this collar.  This also makes the rear height very
adjustable.  To many people (including myself) it appears that this collar
is rather thin and the lower shock body wasn't designed for the weight
that
Marty's setup puts on it.  But he's a smart guy, and I know he wouldn't
sell
anything that he thought could be unsafe.

> The combination I am most interested in is 2C (DMCH Performance
Springs with PJ Grady Performance Shock Absorbers).'

I say that this is not an advisable combination.  DMCH springs & shocks
were
made to work together as a package.  If you are going to spend the big
price
for that kind of quality then go all the way and get the complete package.

Here are the combinations that I have driven on:
OEM springs & shocks -- Very stiff and harsh ride.  Steering requires more
effort because tie-rods now have to push down at an angle.
OEM springs & PJ Grady shocks -- nice improvement in butt comfort but
gives
the harshest ride next to OEM shocks and a big fan fare of squeaks as you
go
down even a smooth road.
PJ Grady front springs & PJ Grady shocks -- Nice combination.  The front
shocks are rather stiff, and I like this.  My butt isn't up there to feel
the bumps, and being stiff helps stop the nose from bottoming out.  (ah,
many suggestive words piled into that sentence.  Did anyone else notice
that?)
PJ Grady springs & DMCH's shocks -- I don't recommend this.  The nose now
is
far more apt to bottom out.  I talked with Steve Wynne about this at the
last SEDOC, and he said that his new springs are proportionately matched
his shocks so that the car won't bottom out as easily.  I'll find out when
get the springs on.  What is stopping me is finding a spring compressor
that
I feel safe using.

Another combination that I have test driven is KYB shocks front & rear
with
OEM springs.  This is the smoothest ride yet -- probably equivelant to
what
Marty is selling.  I'm not sure if a touring car feel is the safest for
the
DeLorean.  When I drive it over a hard bump, it cushions the first jolt
and
then the resulting bounces hardly happen.  The front shocks required no
modifications to fit, and the rears had a custom platform made of
stainless
steel.  Basically the shock fits inside a piece of SS pipe, and the spring
&
cup rest on that.  This was all done by a local friend to his car.  Byrne
Henninger makes a similar setup out of steel.  It allows you to put on any
shock you can fit in the given space.

My personal recommendation is to buy the DMCH shock & spring package.
While
you have the front apart, consider boxing in the upper & lower control
arms.
Or consider PDC stainless steel front lower control arms.  I have a set
but
haven't put them on the car yet.  I intend to do that when I swap out
frames.  Unlike the frame, the welds on his SS control arms are like
jewelry.

Report back what you use.  Maybe take some photos that we can post online.

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=243273.4089246.5300282.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1750744/R=0/SIG=129tvl23l/*http://servedby.advertising.com/click
/site=552006/bnum=1067413612123335> Click to learn more...

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=243273.4089246.5300282.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1750744/rand=973877874>