Re: [DMCForum] Re: Ignition system failure

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Ignition system failure

a replacement distributor new is over $300 I recall.  One of my
counterweights has a broken spring.  That was a fun one to find.
Unfortunately, they don't sell *just* the spring, OF COURSE NOT!!
Against my better judgement, it got a replacement spring from Ace.  Ah, I
wonder what happened to that distributor?

Jim

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:11:05 -0000 "content22207"
<brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Letter "U" is on top row...
>
> 1) Test voltage to coil with voltmeter, not ice pick light. You're
> going to need at least 8 volts for ignition to fire.
> 2) Test for oscillating voltage on negative side of coil as ignition
> module opens & closes
> 3) Do spark plug test with distributor lead wire instead of spark
> plug
> wire
> 4) Look for voltage (5v?) on trigger wire as magnetic ring inside
> distributor turns
>
> *IF* my engine representative: trigger wire is thin gauge and
> unprotected in engine compartment (other than standard insulation).
> Mine slightly melted where it lays across edge of valve cover.
> Ensure
> not pulled loose from distributor -- I believe that's pickup itself,
> not a strain relief. Check connector where it passes through
> firewall
> (also where shielding starts).
>
> Is a brand new Volvo B28 distributor (with rotor but no cap) on eBay
> right now for $50. Seller has high positive feedback.
>
> Is also a complete B28 engine in Fairfax...
>
> Bill Robertson
>
> >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> > I can't catch a fscking break.
> >
> > As I was driving home from DC yesterday, I decided I wouldn't
> -quite-
> > have enough fuel to make it home. I was very close to my wife's
> > office so I pulled in next to her. I grabbed my gas can, and used
> her
> > car to find a station to fill the can. I drove back, put the gas
> in
> > my tank and tried to start the car.
> >
> > The engine cranked but didn't even try to catch. I knew almost
> > immediately why. I put my test spark plug in a wire and I had NO
> > spark. None. Zero.
> >
> > I have:
> > Checked #1 fuse. Good. (replaced it anyway, no change)
> > Checked RPM relay.
> > Bypassed RPM relay anyway.
> > Bypassed ballast resistor. No spark.
> > Verified voltage to the coil IS present.
> > Verified main coil wire is tight on distributor and coil.
> > Cap, rotor, plugs, and coil are all brand-new.
> >
> > I suspect the pick up coil is bad or the ignition ECU is bad. Why?
> >
> > Because:
> >
> > 1. Voltage is present to the coil.
> > 2. The RPM relay functions and it takes pulses from the coil to
> make
> > the relay function. The pulses ride the white/slate wire. If the
> coil
> > wasn't firing, the relay wouldn't close. This means spark is going
> > the distributor and is NOT coming out on the cylinder plug wires.
> >
> > Any other theories, tests or confirmations are welcome. I'm in a
> real
> > bind here folks.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rich
> > #5335 D.I.W.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Yahoo! Autos. Everything you need to know about buying or selling a car.
FREE Quotes, 360° Tours, Research,
Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/HliolB/TM