[DMCForum] Re: Mechanical & Cosmetics

Walt,

I'll tell you this;

Fuel settings defintely have something to do with it because when I
richen up the CO screw it largely goes away. It doesn't just do it at
idle though. If I put enough of a load on the engine (toting uphill)
it does it.

I'm starting to think you may be right about uneven delivery.

I'm painting the engine cover not the louvers. I don't even have
louvers. They were cracked and snapped off and flew away a year ago
during the tow home. :(

Mike does wonders with paint in a can, so it can be done.

Rich

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Mike was telling me about your car backfiring through the intake.
The cause
> of this on my car was from one cylinder running too lean off of
idle.  The
> injector for that cylinder was delivering about half as much fuel
as the
> others at idle, but above 1500 RPM it was fine.  When I adjusted the
> air/fuel mixture, it caused that one cylinder to be too lean and
the other 5
> to be too rich.  Inspecting the plugs confirmed this along with
watching the
> injectors spray in test tubes.  The problem with the faulty new
injectors
> must be that they are NOS and have rust in them.  I'm curious to
cut one
> open and see.
>
> Having your timing off will also cause it to backfire through the
intake.  I
> would have terrible luck trying to tune it by hear like Bill
suggests.
> There must be a procedure for setting/verifying the position of the
timing
> mark.
>
> > Question of the day:  What is the best paint to use to repaint the
> engine cover? Bumper black or semi flat 1613, or what?
>
> I have never been too fond of any paint that comes out of a spray
can when
> compared to spraying real automotive paints through a spray gun.
Rich W
> painted the louvers of D-rex with Krylon Semi-Flat Black, and it
looks good.
> I'm curious to see how it holds up.  Plasti-kote Bumper Black spray
paint (#
> 616) seems to be a spot-on match for the black part of the
fascias.  I'm not
> sure how well it would stick to an engine cover, though.  Like Bill
said,
> preparation is everything.  If there is any residue of oil or Armor-
all or
> Back-to-black then you will get fish-eye in those areas.  I have
seen too
> many painted louvers that are mostly glossy yet mottled with fish-
eye spots
> where residue made the paint go thin.
>
> Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.4074964.5287182.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512