[DMCForum] Installed El-Glo instrument cluster photos

[DMCForum] Installed El-Glo instrument cluster photos

I've finally gotten the El-Glo electroluminscent instrument cluster from
Ryan Gould (http://www.deloreanautomotive.com/) installed, and I took a
bunch of photos, several of which almost look decent.

I opted for the Eurostyle font, reverse El-Glo (i.e. dark background, lit
lettering), White "Cobalt blue" font (which glows a nice, deep blue
similar to the newer VW instrument clusters).  Note that this isn't the
same color as the normal white color, which glows a much lighter blue.  We

originally had a mixup over this, and Ryan was very helpful about getting
things sorted out.  I can't say enough good things about him.

While Ryan's kits include red 194 bulbs to replace the regular instrument
cluster bulbs, I really want lit needles, so my plan was to replace the
instrument cluster bulbs with UV LEDs and to paint the needles on the
gauges with a UV-reactive paint.  I tried this out, and found that the UV
LEDs, from the distance and orientation they're in in relation to the
gauge faces, didn't cause the needles to fluoresce one bit, so I've
shelved this idea at least temporarily.  I may try a cold cathode tube
later, which will produce a lot more UV, or I may even try butchering the
cluster from a car with real lit needles and kludging them into the DMC
cluster somehow.  I haven't given up yet!

Anyway, I took a bunch of pictures of the failed UV painting procedure and

the finished product (alas, with Ryan's provided red bulbs), and it really

looks great.  The pictures are up at:

http://artifact.psychedelic.net/~aos/photos/?album=dmc-ElGlo

The finished product looks better than I expected, and I'm really pleased.

I'm going to keep working on real lit needles, but I know I won't be
disappointed with this in the meantime.

If any of you are on the fence about doing this project, I really
recommend it.  It's given my car a whole new look at night.

-andrew
Houston TX

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.4074964.5287182.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1706996/R=0/SIG=11p5b9ris/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=