[DMCForum] Re: Re PRV-3

Compression test yields 170-175 PSI whole way 'round -- valves
survived. In fact strongest cylinder is #5, which was one of the
melted plugs (although that was vacuum leak, not detonation).

Engine just completed 1,340 mile trip sweetly.

Tonight made what I believe is final tune with R42's. Don't have
exhaust gas analyzer so I set main CO2 by smell/ear and balancing
screws by tach. Test drive was *SWEET*. Wet myself again.

Only sound at full throttle is *somewhat* throaty roar. Not a single
flat spot.

BTW: brickboard.com procedure is correct -- final manual idle speed
set by balancing inlet screw alone. Throttle plate screw only used
during adjustment (agrees with Volvo itself).

Pulled a couple of plugs. As tan as a woman on California beach. Think
I've identified proper heat range for my particular block.

Wasn't my intention to stress engine on way back from SEDOC. In fact
whole experience was rather distasteful. Know now should have cranked
main CO2 back up after fuel enrichment disconnected. Wouldn't have
stopped vacuum leak but would have prevented detonation.

Have no choice but to detonate when power timing. That's how you know
spark moved too far back. Of course you stop in next available parking
lot to move distributor, so no damage done. Only knocks under hard
acceleration anyway. Have showed other people how to power time on
their cars and my own no problem.

Ford used to put timing scale on outer ring of harmonic balancer. With
age, mileage, and heat from engine, that ring rotates. Can't even move
block pointer far enough to re-index. Power timing then is your only
alternative.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount@xxxx>
wrote:
> Torque was reasonably good for a n/a engine in 1981.
>
> Still so, even in 1990, ford/mazda had a n/a 2.2L 4-cylinder with 145hp
> and 165 torque, higher than the D is both respects.
>
> Bill, i think you should be a little more concerned with detonation in
> your engine.  It really doesn't take much detonation or preignition
> before you destroy something.  Likewise, I would not be giving
> demonstrations about how it detonates when retarding spark.
>
> Jim
>

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:37:13 -0000 "content22207"
> <brobertson@xxxx> writes:
> > Forgot to mention: last 100 miles or so from SEDOC were surely made
> > on
> > 3 cylinders, based on engine temp (spark plugs become amazingly cool
> > after they melt & stop firing) and lack of
> > whatever-you-call-spontaneous-combustion sound. Yet car was far from
> > limping. Bit slower from stop light but passed people effortlessly
> > on
> > road. Fuel economy shot to pieces (11-12 MPG). Odd firing sequence
> > (passenger bank every other terminal) is probably only way I was
> > able
> > to get away with it.
> >
> > Think PRV gets a bum rap. Am very impressed myself. Disregard HP --
> > let's talk torque. On  all 6 cylinders car has no problem
> > accelerating
> > UPHILL even with A/C compressor engaged (4th gear). Did it many
> > times
> > this weekend. "Internal" water pipe not exactly the brightest idea,
> > but will live with it over what some of my fellow highway travelers
> > must have  under their hoods. Why else would they ALL start bottom
> > of
> > hill at 75 and fade to specks in mirror by the top?
> >
> > Oh, from Volvo manuals: PRV looks totally out of place in
> > conventional
> > front engine layout. Think it's the U pipes. Might look OK turned
> > around...
> >
> > Bill Robertson

> Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.4074964.5287182.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512