Re: [DMCForum] insurance buyback questions

Re: [DMCForum] insurance buyback questions

> So does anyone have any additional thoughts on the subject, or personal
experiences?

Hi Louie,

With Adam Sullivan's wreck, his insurance valued the car at a little more
than $14K.  He was able to buy it back for $2500.  But then they screwed
him
on the sales tax.  The way it works (at least in Florida) is that they pay
you the value of the car and also pay in addition sales tax on that value.
The reasoning behind this is it is a reasonable and significant cost that
you will incur when buying your replacement car.  However, if you buy your
wrecked car back (even though it now gets a salvage title) they refuse to
pay sales tax (or at least try to).  In Florida I have seen this go both
ways.  Another guy totaled a DeLorean, bought the car back and wasn't
penalized on the sales tax amount and didn't get his title converted to
salvage (and he really had to piss and moan to get the insurance to do
this
for him.)  They valued the car at around $16K and sold it back to him also
for around $2500.  But the other guy got screwed on the tax and got the
title salvaged.  The damage to the title is really worse than the damage
the car IMO.  It looks like I will have to title the car in another state
if
I want to fix it.  (I bought the wreck BTW.)  Another significant factor
between these two cases is that the guy who got the better deal was not
the
one at fault for the accident.  He was collecting from the other person's
insurance.  Both cars were about equally totaled.  Hood gone, fascia gone,
everything under fascia smashed, plenty of fiberglass damage, etc.

If it happened to my car, and I was getting back a salvage title anyway
then
I would fight for the sales tax amount.

So are you buying the car that we saw you drive to the SEDOC show?  Is
that
gash on your neck from the accident going to leave a cool scar?

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124j83ehr/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=193136498>