Re: [DMCForum] Re: Glitch #182

Something we finally agree on, Jim. In working on our Robot Wars
machine, we went through countless HSS bits, and on the advise of the
company who donate our titanium, we bought some Cobalt bits. Some of the
alloys they give is are incredibly hard - and I think we've only ever
needed to replace one bit - and that was because it snapped (my fault).
I've even used a 4mm cobalt bit to drill through a window with my
battery drill. Took a while, but it went through.

The type of bit I like are the "bullet head" ones. They don't have an
arrow shape, but have a flat end, witha  point in the middle. It makes
drilling out, say, exhaust studs, so much easier because there's less
potential for it to drift. I use my 6mm one regularly for drilling out
the mixture plug on the DeLorean.

Martin

Jim Strickland wrote:

>titanium bits, imo, suck.  "high speed" bits suck.  Black 'hardened' bits
>suck.  They may be good for wood, but I have rounded off too many bits in
>hard metal applications.  You need COBALT bits.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autore
dir?camp=556&lineid=3614674?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=272702823>