Re: [DMCForum] head liner

> I used spray glue and it fell back
> down.  I then tried double faced tape and it still fell down.  What
> else is out there to keep the liner on that cardboard type
> material?

You used double faced tape?  Man you were desperate.  Stay away from the
power stapler!  Actually.... well, I have stapled a few sagging headliners
before.

Just like Rich & Dave are saying, there are two varieties of 3M spray
adhesive.  The good one is 3M Super Trim Adhesive Part # 051135-08090.
The
crap one comes almost identically packaged except it is called "3M General
Trim Adhesive".  They are easy to confuse.

Through the ages I have had very poor luck with using cheap spray
adhesives.
Leave the car out in the hot sun for a few hours and everything comes
loose.
The better contact spray adhesives aren't available in spray cans.  You
have
to use your own gun & compressor.

The main difference between the cheap adhesives and the good adhesives are
that the cheap ones tend to stay oily & sticky.  The good adhesives
totally
dry out leaving a tough rubber consistency (and clean out a few brain
cells
and part of the ozone layer.)

> Should I use a sealant on the cardboard type stuff and
> then try spray glue again?

I hope you didn't already muck it up with sticky-gooey adhesive.  If you
did
I suggest trying to clean it off using rags soaked in a solvent.  Use
something like lacquer thinner that will dry out without leaving an oily
residue.  I use a wire brush for cleaning off the rotten foam but then it
tends to leave a sticky residue anyway.  Good contact adhesives will have
solvents that can help cut through this and stick.

> Is this a problem with anyone elses car?

Yep, it's pretty much a problem with any car that uses this type of fabric
for the headliner.  I get the feeling that the manufacturer builds in a
self-destruct date on foam backing.  I totally re-did a headliner in an
old
station wagon only to have it fall down again in two years.  It must have
been old stock fabric.  But it looked fine when I installed it.

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1732163/R=0/SIG=11n0nglqg/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=
30510&media=zone> click here