[DMCForum] Steering Geometry (Re: Rich's 2nd to last straw)

[DMCForum] Steering Geometry (Re: Rich's 2nd to last straw)

Very cool. I always enjoy learning about this stuff so I can be a
better and more self-sufficient maintainer.

I wish I could accurately explain what I'm seeing. The best I can say
is as I watch the bottom of the crumple tube move around while the
car moves forward or backward, the steering rack moves, falsely
turning wheels.

Between DMCH & PJGrady's websites, I've been able to get a complete
picture, top and bottom of what the whole assembly is supposed to
look like and I think I have a much better idea of what's broken.

While I still intend to buy a new one and have the job done right, I
am more confident that this can be fixed for now. At least, I am if
this guy is as good as he says he is...

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> > I forget: Which is caster, and which is camber?
>
> Camber is what you see on wheel chairs.  The big wheels are closer
together
> at the top than at the bottom.  This gives the chair more
stability.  Rear
> camber can be adjusted on the DeLorean if you modify the upper or
lower
> control arms so that their lengths can be adjusted.
>
> Caster is only for wheels that steer.  It is measured in degrees
and is the
> axis that the wheel is hinged on as it steers.  On DeLoreans this
is not
> meant to be adjusted.
>
> Toe-in is a measurement just like the name implies.  The front of
the wheels
> point inward while the back of the wheels point outwards.  This is
the only
> alignment spec that can be adjusted on the DeLorean (according to
the
> factory).  On the front wheels it is adjusted by
screwing/unscrewing the
> tie-rods into the tie-rod ends.  On the rear wheels it is adjusted
by adding
> or removing shims on the trailing arm bolts.
>
> Cool, eh?
> Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1706996/R=0/SIG=11p5b9ris/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=