Re: [DMCForum] Re: EFI by Jim vin 6147

The Delorean's gearbox is from the Renault 30. The Esprit's is a UN1,
used in the Renault 25 and Alpine models. The differences are slight.

The reason the DeLorean transmission's input shafts break before 350hp
has nothing to do with horsepower - it's the TORQUE your diesel-like
american blocks put out. The DeLorean was engineered for effiiciency and
as a consequence the final drive is lower than in the 25/30 and Esprit.
This puts additional strain on the box and clearly the input shaft is
the weakest point. If you're going to drop in an LSD, you can drop in a
final drive crown gear from an Alpine A610 and protect your gearbox up
to well beyond the torque put out by a 450hp GTA turbo engine.

NOBODY I have spoken to about these gearboxes over here has ever heard
of the problem of breaking input shafts.

Martin

Jim Strickland wrote:

>I will bet any amount of money that the DeLo's transmission is not the
>same as the Esprit's V8TT.
>
>It may be renault, but we all know our transmissions will shear before
>350hp.
>
>That's why I specified the DeLo's transmission.  The Delorean could use a
>lot of stuff before an LSD, imo.
>
>Jim

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1754016/R=0/SIG=11pv1u2ju/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=