[DMCForum] Too long DMC Houston door struts (WAS: How do I replace the d

[DMCForum] Too long DMC Houston door struts (WAS: How do I replace the door strut lower bracket?)

I have a happy ending to this story to report!

The problem *was* with the strut...

After replacing the bracket, and with no weather stripping on the door
frame, I could see the strut hitting it's fully closed stop against the
bracket, with the door having about 1/2 inch still to close! Clearly, if
I had closed the door fully the bracket would have bent all over again!

Delorean Houston sent me two new struts after I reported the problem to
them, but they were of the same incorrectly wrong size as I had before.

So I contacted James Espey with my problem... He immediately sent out
two new *shorter* screw-on heads. I put one on each strut, thereby
shortening the length of each strut by about 1/4 inch. Now when I close
the door fully, I see about 1/8 inch of free play in the strut. Perfect
sizing!

So, for those of you who say that the Houston struts have no problems...
not so fast. There are two sizes of screw-on ends that are being
shipped. For me, the combination of two long ends bent one bracket and
broke another. But, the combination of one long and one short fit my
unique door geometry perfectly.

And I must say, that James and the staff of Delorean Houston were most
responsive and helpful in assisting me with this problem.

---Jeff---
VIN 3034

Jeff Angwin wrote:

> I'm not sure that the problem was the strut, as the doors had a history
> of having struts that had no upper-end dampening.
>
> Couple that with the fact that the are on door launchers... The doors
> bounced horribly for 6 months or so, to the point that the doors were
> knocked out of alignment.
>
> That *may* have weakened the brackets. About three months ago, Delorean
> Motor Center (who installed the launchers) re-aligned the doors, and put
> new struts with proper dampening in... The new struts were from Houston,
> and they were the ones that have the screw-on heads. Some say they are
> too long, however James has stated that for most cars they are OK. It
> *could be* that for my car they were not!
>

> ---Jeff Angwin---
>      VIN 3034
>

> Marc Levy wrote:
>
> >--- jangwin <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >>Hi all!
> >>

> >Who's door strut did you have on the car when it bent?
> >

> >>One of my lower door strut brackets suddenly bent.
> >>The top of the
> >>upper mounting bolt sheared cleanly off, and the
> >>bracket bent so that
> >>the post  that holds the door strut was bent
> >>downward at a 45% angle.
> >>Fortunately the fiberglass was not damaged (however
> >>the filler panel
> >>that covers the front side of the bracket split in
> >>two)
> >>
> >>So now I have a new Grady extra-strong bracket to
> >>replace the OEM one.
> >>
> >>How do I gain access to the rear half of the
> >>bracket? this is the part
> >>that the bolts screw into. It appears to be buried
> >>inside the
> >>fiberglass pontoon. Do I have to remove the rear
> >>headliner to get to
> >>it? If so, how is that done?
> >>
> >>Thanks!
> >>
> >>Jeff Angwin
> >>VIN 3034

> >Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
> >http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
> >

> *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1706996/R=0/SIG=11p5b9ris/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=
30509
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1706996/R=0/SIG=11p5b9ris/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=
30509&media=atkins> &media=atkins>

> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595056/R=0/SIG=124p07ne0/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595056> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595056/rand=254711718>