Re: [DMCForum] DELOREAN FRONT SHOCKS ON EBAY (Monroe & KYB)

Re: [DMCForum] DELOREAN FRONT SHOCKS ON EBAY (Monroe & KYB)

I (we) replaced upper & lower ball joints on a DeLorean today and
installed
KYB shocks.  These were replacing Monroe shocks that the car's owner
thought
were too soft.  We took it for a test drive, and it handles a lot better
due
to replacing the ball joints.  The car hasn't been driven enough yet to
decide if the KYBs are better shocks.  They look really high-tech anyway.

What came off the car were Monroe 32206.  These are the same as NAPA
94037.
They fit fine, but the eyelet holes are too small.  We drilled them out
using a 1/2" drill.    You only need to make it slightly larger, and the
bushing is plenty thick enough that drilling it out won't hurt anything.
Some people prefer to use a smaller bolt instead.

The original eyelet spacers are too thick for any other kind of shock.
You
will need to make your own using stacks of washers or lengths of pipe.
This
time I used 1/2" brass water pipe.  The ID is exactly the right size.
Used
a belt sander to clean up the ends after cutting to length.  I would have
used galvanized water pipe, but the owner wanted brass.

The KYB GR2 shocks we put back on are 344069.  The eyelets on these are
already the correct size and don't need to be drilled.  I got in a hurry
and
didn't take the time to measure these shocks compressed & relaxed to
compare
with the OEM dimensions.  Whatever you buy, take measurements, compare and
post your results here.  Eventually we'll work it into an online database.

Another KYB GR2 that will fit is the 344098.  This one requires drilling
the
eyelet, unlike the 344069s that I installed today.  I don't know anything
else about it.

Notice that in the eBay photo that the part number is cropped out.  This
is
a 344069 shock available from Autozone for $30 each.

> If you are interested I have a pair of OEM shocks that I bought
> about 3 years ago.  they have about 1K miles on them and are in
> great condition.

Hah hah hah!  (Sorry Erik ;-)

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512