[DMCForum] Re: Toasted starter?

Walt and Greg,

Many good things to check. I'll address some of these now, point by
point:

1. I agree. Starters are tough, but it is 22/23 years old. It gets -
hot- when I crank it. I didn't smell anything tho.

2. I have not yet pulled the injectors, but the plugs are wet. I
should test the spray pattern though.

3. The cold start valve works. I left that line disconnected by
accident and it sprayed everywhere. :) This is good because it didn't
work and I just replaced the thermotime thingy to fix it.

4. I checked the idle regulator and the freq valve. They have power,
the idle reg is brand new and they both work.

5. I have checked all the grounds you listed except the freq valve
one. Didn't know about that. But it's buzzing away when I bypass the
RPM relay.

6. Spark plugs. They're wet. I was very careful to get them in the
proper order. I have checked, but will re-check to make sure the ends
are not lost in the boots.

Lastly,
7. Ballast resistor relay. This one is interesting. I had problems
with this before. I will -definitely- check this one out right now.
Rain be damned.

Rich

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> There are a lot of things it could be since you took so much
apart.  I
> haven't paid enough attention to starts to be able to say how many
RPMs to
> expect.  The starters have a reputation for being very durable.
>
> Here are a few food for thought things to check:
>
> Pulling the fuel injectors and putting them in little jars or test
tubes.
> Jumper the RPM relay to run the pump and press the air metering
plate and
> see if they all spray evenly.
>
> Check to see that the cold start valve is working.
>
> Check the electrical connections to the warm-up regulator, idle
speed motor
> and frequency valve.
>
> Check the grounds.  There is one on top of the intake manifold on
the
> drivers side toward the front.  There is another for the frequency
valve on
> the passenger side toward the front (on the side of the manifold).
There is
> a ground strap going around the passenger side engine mount to the
frame.

> Make sure that you have the plug wires on in the correct order.
And make
> sure that you have them plugged all the way on.  The end of the
wire can get
> lost in the weather proof boot.  When you have the boot in place on
the plug
> well, the wire may just be touching the top of the plug.
>
> Check that the relay that bypasses part of the resistor ballast is
working
> to give more voltage to the coil while cranking.
>
> outta time...
> Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o72ctft/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autore
dir?camp=556&lineid=3512844?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=514651016>