[DMCForum] gear box oil ... was Re: Grind going to 5th -- (Me Too)

[DMCForum] gear box oil ... was Re: Grind going to 5th -- (Me Too)

> I am bleeding the clutch line but was wondering the prosedure for adding
or replaccing fluid in the transmission/differenetial.

It is a matter of opinion on whether this fluid ever wears out or needs to
be changed.  But whatever the case it is important to keep the level
topped
off.

First check the oil level to see what you have.  This is the same
procedure
for the gearboxes on both manual & automatic transmissions.  On the
drivers
side in about the middle of the gear box is an oil plug that works just
like
the OEM engine oil plug.  Remove it and make sure that the oil level is
even
with the bottom of the hole.  It is too cramped an area to see inside, so
use something like a piece of wire or paper bread twist-tie to shove
in there as a dip stick.

There isn't enough room to get an oil bottle in the hole (or even near the
hole for that matter).  So I found a convenient trick for getting oil in
there.  Use a zip-loc plastic bag.  Fold a bottom corner into a point and
wrap it with tape.  Fill the bag with oil and zip it closed.  Use scissors
to cut the end of the taped corner off and stick it in the hole.  Squeeze
the oil out of the bag until the gear box is full.  You will know it is
full
when excess oil drips out everywhere.

Take photos and we'll write this up into a technical article.

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595053/R=0/SIG=124orar12/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3313099&yhad=1595053> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595053/rand=805242498>