[DMCForum] totally off-topic question: 2000 Chevy Cavalier

[DMCForum] totally off-topic question: 2000 Chevy Cavalier

Hi, gang! I'm back in town with another non-DeLorean post. :) But this
time it's important.

A co-worker of mine has a problem with her car suddenly dying. At first
I thought it was an electrics problem but now I'm not so sure.

Apparently, the car will lose power and die within a matter of thirty to
forty seconds, regardless of how long it has been driven, the
temperature outside, time of day, slope of road, etc. and sometimes it
will start up again right away, and sometimes it can be left for an hour
and still won't start.

Here's what threw me: after sitting for half an hour, the engine was
still radiating quite a lot of heat, but the temperature gauge read
190(F) before things went kaputsky.

I'm trying to find a simple solution before she has to take it to the
Chevy dealer and pay too much for something easy (like a new alternator
or battery). Any ideas?

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Farrar in New Orleans