Re: [DMCForum] a crappy running engine

Since my tune-up my fuel economy has increased dramatically.  This last
tank got me 22.4 mpg which is up from about 16~17 mpg.  My plugs were way
over-gapped and maybe even the wrong heat range.  The distributor cap had
two carbon traces from the center button to the perimeter electrodes.
There were a few "hot spots" that appeared to be arching through the side
of the cap, but only visible from the inside.  I suspect the distributor
problems were caused by the over-gapped plugs -- not a good enough correct
path for the spark to go, so it found others.

I still hear electronic rattles in the car, but they aren't near as loud.
I suspect this was from secondary ignition breakdown.  The tachometer
would rattle according RPMs.  Before I removed the door ajar buzzer, it
would rattle in sync with the tach too.

The car was having a hard time starting since the tune-up.  I thought it
might have been a drippy (although new) fuel injector.  But Ken watched me
start it, and there was no black smoke (signs of flooding). So next I
suspected that the relay for the ballast resistor wasn't giving a full 12V
to the coil during cranking.  I jiggled all those connections, and now it
starts fine.  Time will tell if this was the problem.

In the process of removing/replacing the intake manifold, I cleaned the
ground on top of it (toward the front left).  Now I notice that my dash
volt meter shows more.  Cool.  Why it never occurred to me to clean this
ground before escapes me.

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6