Re: [DMCForum] Re: Antenna Fuse

On 29-05-2003 23:59, Walter Coe wrote:

>> what is a slow fuse and what is a fast fuse?
>
> The fast blow ones have a little spring pulling on one side of the
fusible
> link.  You can see it through the glass.  The slow blow variety don't
have a
> spring -- just a straight wire.  The caps on the ends generally say
whether
> it is fast or slow blow.

If tha cap has an "F" it's a fast blowing fuse, with a "T" it's a slow
one.
The difference is that a Slow fuse can take a slight bit of overload for
some time and THEN blows, a fast blowing one will blow at the instant it's
overloaded. For things with motors you need a SLOW fuse, because the motor
takes a fair amount of current to get running, but takes less when
actually
on. If you look at the cooling fans, they can draw 25Amps a piece at
startup, but will only require around 12 to 15 Amps when running.
If you had a fast blowing fuse, it would blow the instant the fans
would have to kick in.

> If you are adding a new fuse holder and use the style fuse like is what
is
> used in the DeLorean's main fuse block, I believe that all those only
come
> in the slow-blow variety.

True, there's even a resettable version of those; I have one in my #10
slot,
because when my brother drives my car (I let him for my own convenience)
and
he adjusts the mirrors he often bottomed them out, blowing the fuse :-(

So I put in the automatic one only to find that he's more carefull now :-)

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16nhatm5q/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd
=1054299756%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705126215:HM
/A=1482387/R=1=1054299756%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S
=1705126215:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=177221467>