Re: [DMCForum] squeaky clutch and hard pedal

Re: [DMCForum] squeaky clutch and hard pedal

> ??? Surely a smaller bore would result in a longer travel with less
> force required.

I'm with Martin on this one.  Work = Force * Distance.  The transmission
requires a certain amount of work to be done.  If you want to accomplish
the
same work with less force then you must increase the distance of pedal
travel.

> it's all down to the
> DeLorean's master cylinder and/or pedal linkage that makes it stiff. A
> stainless braided clutch line can help too.

Jim's car has a metal tube installed in place of the OEM plastic one.  I'm
surprised it hasn't leaked from vibration fatigue, but he has put several
thousand miles on it that way.  And his clutch is just as stiff as Tom's
which has a SS braided line.  How different can the Renault 30 clutch be?

I suppose it is a stupid idea to try to modify the tranny's pressure plate
to require less force.  But then I suppose that would cause the clutch to
slip too much?

I got the crazy idea of rigging up a small gas strut to the clutch linkage
to make the clutch lighter.  But that would require disassembling the
strut
& drilling out the orifice in the piston to make it relax fast enough.  I
already got a spare pedal box that came out of the Rick's twin engine
fiasco, err, I mean project.  (Just kidding Rick :-)   I originally got it
to put in my automatic DeLorean because the brake pedal on it is too wide.
My fat foot sometimes gets the brake while I'm trying to accelerate.

> Usually a lot of the noise comes from the throw-out bearing.

I know what you mean, but the squeak I'm talking about is in the clutch
linkage.

> "Teflon Impregnation for less Friction and Pedal Effort"
>http://www.pjgrady.com/lgspec.asp?id=21

The teflon probably helps.  The next time I get near Rob's green DeLorean,
I'm going have him show me a comparison between his car and any other
clutch
around to see what the difference is.

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512