Re: [DMCForum] Walt's Toby-Tabs

> From what I heard the Toby-tabs were a
> pain to put in, because of their size.

Toby TABs can be harder to put in because they need SAE (non-metric)
wrenches, and the heads are 12 point requiring 12 point matching sockets.
This is fine with manual transmissions, but with automatics there isn't
enough room to get a socket & ratchet in there.  I had to use an offset
box
end wrench that most shade-tree mechanics wouldn't have laying around.

I thought Inconel 718 was non-magnetic, but I could get both a Toby-TAB
and
a Walt-TAB to pick up a magnet.  But this was one of those really strong
rare earth magnets.  It stuck slightly better to the Walt-TAB.  I suppose
that means it has more iron or cobalt, but then even nickel has slight
magnetic properties.  I have a spectral analysis that I'm going to scan &
get posted soon.

Today I installed Walt-TABs on Tom's car.  The job took less than an hour.
This car has a manual transmission, so putting the bolts through the
bushings was a straight shot.  The only things I had to take loose were
the
bolts themselves.  Somehow it took another 10 hours to replace fuel
injectors, adjust CO, bleed brakes and piddle with installing an
electrochromatic rearview mirror.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512