Re: [DMCForum] Cross-drilled rotors was Door strut strength?

Re: [DMCForum] Cross-drilled rotors was Door strut strength?

I ordered PowerStop cross-drilled rotors though SummitRacing who got them
through AutoSpecialty.  Only the front rotors came and the back ones went
on
back order for months.  I finally played detective and spoke to the
relevant
people involved.  Their supply of cross-drilled rotors ran out, and they
sold slow enough that they were not planning on making any more.  At that
time they had two more pair of front rotors and no rear rotors.

SummitRacing offered to buy back my front ones, but I decided to try them
out on my car anyway.  In short, they suck!  My only complaint is that
they
are very noisy but then I'm the only one complaining about PJ Grady's
shock
absorbers with the high-performance squeak.  These brake rotors make a
whirring noise any time the car is in motion even without touching the
brake.  It isn't bad enough to make me replace them, but I certainly
wouldn't put the same kind of rotor on another car.  Rob Grady told me
that
he test drove a DeLorean with cross-drilled rotors and didn't want to deal
with them because of the noise issue.

One important caveat: not all cross-drilled brake rotors are created
equal.
The PowerStop ones I got were made to be cross-drilled.  After the
drilling
process, they were reheated and then zinc plated.  The holes are chamfered
(like funnels) which are supposed to cut down on the noise, but they are
still very noisy.  John Hervey told me that the ones he got were not
cross-drilled and then he had someone do the cross-drilling expost facto.
wouldn't want to trust it, but then maybe John would like to chime in and
explain what he has.  I think the reason why he doesn't want to sell the
fronts or rears separately is because he had them made in complete sets.
If
he sold just the fronts then he might have a harder time selling the rears
separately.

The cross-drilled rotors I like best are sold by Ed Uding.  He had them on
display at the Memphis show last year.  This is a much thicker internally
vented rotor that he then cross-drills.  I don't like the idea that he
cross-drills them expost facto.  But I do like the idea that they are
internally vented.  This should stop most of the whirring noise.  Can
anyone
who has tired them say?  These rotors are too thick for stock calipers, so
Ed came up with an adaptor piece that goes between the halves of the
caliper
making it wider.  What a clever guy!

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor