Re: [DMCForum] Broken bolt

> What is the best way to get a broken bolt out of the block. Two of my
> water pipe under the manifold bolts broke off flush and nothing to grab.

Well at least you don't have to pull the engine out to get to it.  The
basic
technique is to drill out what is left of the broken bolt while not
drilling
into the block either through the side or the bottom.  Start with a small
size drill bit and keep it centered as best as you can.  It doesn't hurt
hold the drill at an angle to keep it from drifting it off center.  Before
you start drilling, you might try putting a dent in the bolt using a punch
&
hammer.

Once you have a pilot hole, the next step is to keep drilling the hole big
enough to fit an Easy-Out.  I affectionately refer to them as "hard-outs"
because they are seldom easy.  There are two styles -- tapered with
reverse
thread or straight with longitudinal ribs.  I don't have a preference
because they all suck.  Try to use the biggest hard-out that will fit
because if it breaks then you really have a mess on your hands.

The first thing to do is start soaking it all in PB Blaster or Liquid
Wrench.  WD-40 works well to keep the drill bits cool.  You know to squirt
some more on it when you see it smoke.  WD-40 is great for drilling but
not
so good for disolving rust.  For that I prefer PB Blaster.  If you fuck up
the threads, you can always fix it with a threaded insert.  When you put
it
all back together, use anti-seize grease so it doesn't snap off again the
next time.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3269369.4566997.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1482387/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=1052892906%3e
M=247865.3269369.4566997.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705126215:HM/A=1482387/R=1
=1052892906%3eM=247865.3269369.4566997.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705126215:HM
/A=1482387/R=2>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3269369.4566997.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=114584878>