Re: [DMCForum] reupholster center console

Re: [DMCForum] reupholster center console

> The women said she couldn't do it because of the "French Stitch"?
> Has anyone had theirs done?

I assume that "French Stitch" is the seam in the middle with a parallel
stitch line on either side.  I bet that why she said she couldn't do it is
because she doesn't have a sewing machine that will stitch both lines at
the
same time.  Those kind of machines are very rare and very expensive.  And
if
you look close you will see that the DeLorean wasn't done by one of these
machines anyway!  On many cars the stitching is just plain sloppy.  It
looks
like they sewed the hidden stitch first on the underside. (top surfaces of
upholstery sewn together.)  Then they open it up and sew the visible
stitches in separate passes on either side of the seam.  If you go slow
and
take your time then it looks good.

I have a machine that is up to the job.  My main problem with it is that
the
motor runs too fast and the clutch is touchy.  It either wants to sew at
100mph or not at all.  I usually end up turning the wheel by hand when I
need it to look pretty (which is most of the time).

Since you have a black interior, color matching isn't a big problem.
Check
out what is available at a JoAnn Fabrics franchise or find an auto
upholstery wholesaler.  And I emphasize the word "wholesaler".  Upholstery
shops are in the business to install the upholstery for you.  Otherwise
they
would want $50/yard.

The next time you come over, bring upholstery, thread, and more Petridge
Farm chocolate chip cookies.  To get a head start, pull the upholstery off
the console, and use a seam ripper to cut the threads.  That will be your
pattern.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=253841.3292458.4586253.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1504868/R=1/*http://autos.yahoo.com> Take 360 degree virtual
tours on Yahoo! Autos
 2003 Mini Cooper  2003 Nissan 350Z  2003 BMW M3  2003 Honda Accord  2003
Toyota Camry  more...

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=253841.3292458.4586253.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1504868/rand=484067070>