[DMCForum] A/C system hose replacement

I thought I would ask you all for advice and let you know where I am at
today on replacing all the rubber in an a/c system.

So far today I removed all 3 hoses, accumulator, orifice tube &
compressor.
The system had almost no oil in it, but I found this in the other three
DeLoreans I have re-gassed to date.  The orifice tube had 3 bits of metal
on
it.  I don't think this is from the compressor going bad, though.  It
looks
like trash that had never been flushed out of the system from when it was
new.  Does this sound reasonable?

To remove the hoses connecting to the compressor, I had to cut the ends
off
the front and pull them out toward the rear.  When we started the project,
Jim Sleeth (the car's owner) only wanted to replace the high-side hose
which
was the only one leaking (wet with oil).  We thought we could remove it
without cutting off the end because supposedly there is enough gap between
the frame & underbody for the attached fitting to pass though.  Well, not
so.

At this point we realized that we would not be able to put a pre-assembled
hose on the car.  Instead we would either need to thread the new hose
through the frame first and then crimp on the end or we would have to lift
the body off the frame to get clearance.  Now since we were into it this
far, Jim decided that we would do the job x2 and replace the low side hose
as well.

I heard a rumor that a certain DeLorean vendor replaces hoses by bending
the
lip of the frame down far enough to shove a pre-assembled hose back in
there.  I don't know if this is true or not, but neither Jim nor I thought
this would be good for the frame.  It would weaken the frame, look like
crap
afterwards, crack the epoxy and thus promote rust.

I'm going to go to Amazon Hose & Rubber soon and have them make up new
hoses
with the new barrier type that is required for R-134a (but we are putting
R-12 back.)  What I hope they will do is crimp the fittings on only one
side
first and then later crimp the fittings at the compressor end after I have
threaded them through in my shop.

If they won't crimp fittings in their parking lot then my other option is
Classic Auto A/C Manufacturing, but since they are in the A/C business I
get
the feeling that they would not like doing the menial work without
charging
for a whole system rebuild.

And yet another option is having Amazon make pre-assembled hoses and then
we
lift the body off the frame just an inch or so to make room to fit the
hoses
on.  But lifting the body even an inch may turn out to be a LOT of work
and
probably not worth it.  Does anyone know how much of the front fascia
would
need to come apart?  I think most of the pipes & hoses could stay
connected.

Comments welcome.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor