Re: [DMCForum] Re: rough "billy" idle :-)

dmcmike2002 wrote:
> my car has an old "Valeo"...I think this was the common replacement
> done in the 90's by D shops....I thought maybe the problem was a bad
> alternator bud my volt meter reads perfect, except of course when it
> is hunting.....could a malfunctioning or dying alternator cause
> this????

Mike,

Well, I only asked because certain underpowered alternators (such as the
original Ducellier[sp?]) can cause sad voltmeter readings at idle if
other electrics (air conditioner, lights, etc.) are running. I would
assume that yours is OK since it replaced the weak original. Try turning
everything on while sitting - headlights, hazard lights, windshield
wipers, rear defroster, air conditioner, whatever works - and see if
your car dies. If not, and if your car doesn't change (much) when you
turn everything back off, then I'd say you may have a vacuum leak. Aside
from that, I'm clueless. Sorry. :\

Regards,
Farrar Hudkins
Announcer/Producer
89.9 WWNO FM New Orleans / 90.5 KTLN FM Thibodeaux-Houma
Live audio stream @ www.wwno.org

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164797&partid