[DMCForum] Re: A/C

I'm posting this to the forum since others might be interested in what it
takes to replace a/c hoses and clean up a system.  But it is really a
private letter so some parts won't be relevant.

Okay, Tuesday works.  I need to go to Ft. DeSoto on Friday anyway, so I
can also go by Super Parts then and get your accumulator & orifice tube,
refrigerant oil and o-rings, flushing solution, etc.

I went boating with Tom & Greg today.  Tom suggested that the other high
pressure hose also be replaced.  Yours might have been made from the same
batch of hose that the one is leaking already.  And this one is easy to
get to.  It connects from the condenser to the evaporator.

Going by memory, here is an approximate price breakdown for parts:
Accumulator $38
Variable Orifice Valve $35, used instead of fixed orifice tube, plain
stupid not to use one in my opinion
-or- Fixed orifice tube $1.50
refrigerant oil 8oz or maybe more, less than $10
Dura 141 flushing agent $20 per bottle (I think, maybe less), you may need
two bottles.
Replacing high pressure hoses and using original fittings, I'm guessing
$40.  Amazon Hose & Rubber could do it.

Tom & I strongly recommend replacing the low pressure line also.  This
might be done on the car at Amazon after we have them do the other lines
and sniff out if they are willing to crimp the hose while it is on the
car.  Since it's a DeLorean, they would probably want to come out to the
parking lot to see it anyway.  And replacing all the hoses means using
less Dura 141.  It's better to spend the money on hose than on flushing
agent.

Now another potential problem is that the compressor may be toast.  We
will know if we see metal particles on the screen of the orifice tube.
Expect a new one to cost $250.  There is a small chance that the
evaporator my have a problem.  Those go for $480, but the company that
makes them for DMCH is in Tampa, so it could probably be bought directly
from them for a lot less.  And it would be a 3 day job to remove & replace
it.  One day to take it out, one day to clean it up, one day to put it all
back together.  I really don't need to mention this, but I've had 3 cups
of expresso...

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&l