Re: [DMCForum] Why "hog rings"?

[WARNING: THIS POST IS TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE
CLOSING SENTENCE.]

Dave Stragand wrote:
> They used to put rings through the nose of hogs (pigs) to lead them
> around.
>
> Now, teenage girls call it fashion.

Ha! You know, I always wondered if the guys and girls who have those big
hoops were ever led along on a plow. Or maybe they tie up their horse
there. Do these people know they're wearing Farm Fashion? Or the things
that hang out of the nose and wiggle around like metal snot. What's that
for?

I remember an old George Carlin album where he had a fake Book Club
advertisement. One of the titles was "Self-Mutilation As An
Attention-Getter." It works. But what sort of attention?

I actually had to walk out of a restaurant in Florida because the
waitress's half-flesh/half-metal face took away my appetite. I would
rather walk away than simply say "I'm sorry. I can't look at you. I'm
trying to eat." Many of these people may have had respectable looks
until they started poking holes and soldering themselves into their
current form. But then again if it helps raise their self-esteem,
they're welcome to it. I just hope they won't be shocked when they have
trouble entering the world of business, or forty years later when they
find their earlobes can hold both LPs of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road",
the insides of the nose are longer than the outside, and their eyebrows
number not two but sixteen. And I hope they won't have to wonder why I
laugh whenever one of them walks by.

Maybe when I get my DeLorean I can say "You know, I have a much better
use for stainless steel out in the parking lot." :)

Regards,
Farrar Hudkins
Announcer/Producer
89.9 WWNO FM New Orleans / 90.5 KTLN FM Thibodeaux-Houma
Live audio stream @ www.wwno.org

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&l