RE: [DMCForum] a project De Lorean...

>1) The fiberglass underbody being cracked in that spot.

Which spot?

>2) The state of the frame... looks like the impacts crunched it some.
That
opens a can of worms because it probably caused
>the epoxy coating to crack... possibly allowing water to get in under the
epoxy and rust away the frame (which looks pretty >rusty in some spots to
begin with).

I took that picture blind by holding the camera under the car.  I think
that
bend you see, if we are talking about the same picture, is on the crumple
tube.  At least that is the consensus thus far.

>3) The crunched door appears to be letting the weather in. The crunched
door also happens to be on the side of the
>electrical compartment... which kinda scares me. Is there visable water
damage to the inside of the car? Check inside the
>electrical compartment if so and see if there's any moisture build up.

The day I saw the car, it had rained profusely the few days before.  The
current owner did a fairly good job at taping up the door.  There was,
however, a tiny bit of moisture in the battery compartment.  When I say a
tiny amount, I mean like condensate, no puddling of any kind.  I looked
over
that area as best I could for the exact thing you are talking about.

>I'm not sure how much you know about Ds... so I don't wanna ramble on and
tell you a bunch of stuff you already know. But if >the car has been
sitting
a few years (looks like it has), then be prepared to go through all major
systems... fuel, brake,
>clutch, etc. I think it would be great if you could bring this car back
life, and I hope we don't scare you... it's just
>you'll have quite a project on your hands :-). So what would your plans
be
for her, keep painted and modify, or restore to
>original?
>
>Louie Golden
>VIN 10115 Sanford, NC

The car was driven by the previous owner, with the damaged passenger door,
until the current owner purchased the car to restore.  According to him,
it
has sat about six months as is, and he drove it to its current location.
am reluctant to try starting the car since it has sat, but I am unsure
about
just how long of a time is too long.  My assumption is to be safe and not
try until I clean the fuel system.  The fuse box area looks a little hairy
and I would want to do some work there as well before connecting a
battery.

The red paint that is currently on the car seems to have been put on in
haste and is flaking off rather easily, which is good.  I pulled the
rubber
door strips off and there was perfect stainless underneath so it seems
that
most of the damage is visible.  My intentions for now are to go back
stainless.  I will not do a frame-off restoration, but rather get the car
back together as an everyday driver so it can be enjoyed on the road where
it was intended.

Thanks for your input.

Greg

Get A Free Psychic Reading!