Re: [DMCForum] TIE ROD ENDS

Instead of hitting your shaft with a block of wood to fix your thin nut
problem, you should consider this-

A lot of ball joints have two opposing flat sides between the ball and
the threads.  This is so you can hold the ball still with a wrench while
tightening the nut.  Just be careful to not tighten the wrench in with
it!

Jim

> The cure:
> Thread a new plain nut on there and tighten until the shaft spins.
> Then
> thread two more nuts on the end and jamb them together.  Now you can
> hold
> the jamb nuts with a wrench to stop the shaft from spinning while
> you
> tighten the bottom nut.  This is assuming that your nuts are thin
> enough
> and/or the shaft is long enough.  Damn this sounds phallic.
> Otherwise beat
> the thing back using a block of wood, brass hammer and a weight to
> stop the
> arm from flexing.
>
> Once you have the plain bottom nut tight then you can take it off
> and put
> the original self-locking nut back on or just put another new nut on
> there
> as a jamb nut.  I prefer a jamb nut.
>
> While I have the boot off the tie-rod end, I like to fill it with
> wheel
> bearing grease.  This might help to lube the joint and also keep
> water out.
>
> Walt

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty
Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/HliolB/TM