[DMCForum] Re: the 80s (hideously off-topic)

[DMCForum] Re: the 80s (hideously off-topic)

[NOTE: RAMPANT SARCASM CONTAINED WITHIN.]

Jim et al,

I was born in 1979 and I abhorred the 80s and what my brother and sister
wore. So I rebelled by being low-key. For the most part I wear what I
did growing up - collared shirts and slacks/jeans. I haven't owned a
pair of sneakers since 1989. Still, I would prefer looking at people
wearing 80s garb to the so-called "goth" that today's teenagers and
20somethings seem to like. At first I thought it was an architectural
fad until I saw people of this sub-culture, apparently trying to imitate
  albino vampires with badly-spelt tattoos. Call me crazy, but I don't
think poking holes in yourself, never taking any sun, and wearing all
black with 18-inch platforms is a good way to promote your good
self-image, not to mention get a job once your mutilated self gets that
Bachelor of General Studies. Next thing I expect to see is a guy
decorating his scalp with resin-core solder. Drip, drip, drip ... scrape.

But I digress.

1980s music? Hmm, the only good music I remember hearing during the 80s
was Dire Straits. Then again my parents listened to the oldies station
and classical records. I had to wait until the 80s were over before I
started finding some good music from that decade. :) For me it was
mostly carry-overs from earlier decades - Rush, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer,
Yes, King Crimson, Deep Purple, etc.  I'm sure there were some
exceptions but I can't remember them. Maybe the Dixie Dregs ... Were
they an 80s band?

Anyway, I can draw a conclusion from the past thirty years: ugly rock
bands make better music. Compare Queen or Yes to the pretty boys of
today. No contest. :)

I'm off to form an ugly prog-rock band. Tentative name: Doc Hudkins and
the Captains of Industry. Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Farrar

--
Farrar Hudkins
Announcer/Producer

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty
Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/HliolB/TM