Re: [DMCForum] DMC Power Steering

> I wanted to know about The Delorean Power Steering System,

I heard a rumor that Don Steger in Garden Grove, CA put power steering in
DeLorean.  But rumors aren't always true.

> Personally I've never missed it, even with
> my "normal" car having Powersteering...

I sure missed it!  That is until I installed lowered front springs and
oiled
my steering rack (it had a torn boot so all the oil leaked out).  This
helped enormously.  It is fine while driving around but usually takes two
hands in a parking lot.  That must just be the nature of manual steering.

> A PowerCLUTCH, that's an idea I'd like.

Me too.

> Being 15 years old you
> should have researched learned a little more about the DeLorean before
> you bought one.

I researched it for about 3 weeks before I bought one.  Dad looked at
buying
one when I was a teen but then chickened out because of concern for the
company's inability to honor warranty.  Forward 20 years: I wanted a
second
car to get my alcoholic girlfriend to want to sober up to get her license
back, looked in the Autotrader for something cool and decided on a
DeLorean
(poor man's exotic car.)  Boy did I not know what I was in for with both
the
car and the GF.  Needless to say, the GF is back with her X, but the D
loves
me.  It always stays where I park it, and it never returns to the garage
of
its previous owner.

> To do this you would have to re-engineer the complete front end, Crumple
> Tubes, Suspension plus the power to the power steering unit.....

Here is a power steering alternative that has crossed my mind.  Go to
www.summitracing.com and type in part number HRE-5220  Keep following the
pages and it shows you a photo and an explanation of the Howe Steering
Quickener.  It's basically a gear box you splice into the steering column
that can increase or decrease the steering ratio by 30% or 50%.  This
could
be nice in parking lots, but I think any improvements could be offset by
bad
handling at speed.  But then 30% may not be all that much.  Another
alternat
ive is to install a bigger steering wheel = more leverage.

> There was so very little driver input that I
> was going down the interstate weaving back and forth because I couldn't
> 'feel' the car at all.

Yep, and then there are those guys who think that power steering is too
much
like wearing a condom.  :-P

Walt

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty
Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/HliolB/TM