Re: [DMCForum] thermostat

The OEM thermostat in the DeLorean is made by Whaler in Germany.  They
come
in several temperature ratings.  I think the proper temp for the DeLorean
is
87ºC.  And I think any new thermostat should come with a gasket already
installed.  However, the DeLorean parts manual shows them as having
different part numbers.

DeLorean p/n 102709 = Thermostat Renault 7700703136
DeLorean p/n 102156 = Thermostat gasket Renault 9151443280
(the Renault #'s are what I found in one of my cross-reference lists.  Can
you send me a copy of the cross-reference lists that you have? :-)

While you have both old & new thermostats in hand, it is a good idea to
check them against each other.  Drop both in a pot of water with a
thermometer and heat on a stove.  See if they open completely and if they
do
so at the rated temperature.

I suggest putting everything back together with some anti-seize grease on
the bolt threads.  But be careful not to over-tighten because grease on
the
threads means that the same torque will produce more results which can
strip
threads.

Once back together, you should bleed air out of the system.  See item 19
on
page 1:3:0 of the Parts Manual for a picture of the bleed screw.  Run the
engine until the temperature comes up to normal (if that's possible in
your
cold weather).  To turn the screw, I've used a deep socket on a 1/4" drive
ratchet.  There isn't a lot of room for a wrench.  A neater way to do it
is
to fit some clear vinyl tubing over the screw and into a bucket so that
you
don't get coolant everywhere.  But it isn't hardly worth the trouble and
the
risk of having the hose tangle in the belts.

As a general rule, the coolant in your system should be replaced every 2
years, so this may be a good time for you to flush it.  In any case, use a
coolant checker to make sure you have the proper water-to-antifreeze
ratio.

Walt