[DMCForum] Re: door struts

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, id <ionicdesign@xxxx> wrote:
> there was a big discussion at one time about who sells the correct
door
> struts and i cant remember who it was. i know one vendor was selling
> struts that were too short or too long and was damaging the ball
mounts
> because they were not compressing correctly.
>
> so my question is who sells the correct door struts?
>
> mark

Hi Mark.

I'm the guy who did the strut test, after I bought struts that
damaged my car from a trusted vendor.  The incorrect struts came from
DeLorean Motor Company in Houston.  Though they apparently originate
from the same factory as some other struts, they are dimensioned
wrongly.  More dissappointing to me than the damage to my car, which
wasn't bad because I noticed the flaw right away, and only closed the
door once, was DeLorean Motor Company's subsequent blame shifting.
They had an opportunity to admit their mistake, and make it right,
and they missed it.  But I don't like to slam them too much; I might
want to buy something from them someday, and the DeLorean community
is kind of small, so I'm uninclined to piss anybody off too badly.

I tested four struts in all, P.J. Grady's, John Hervey's, DeLorean
Motor Center's, and DeLorean Motor Company's.

I could be very happy with struts from DeLorean Motor Center, John
Hervey, or P.J. Grady. All three were very good, and only
differentiated themselve from each other by subtle differences.  On
my car, I have P.J. Grady struts.  They work fine, as do struts from
DeLorean Motor Center (Don Steger, California), or John Hervey.

If you want, I can send you a copy of the report.  It's a big file,
though, and doesn't really say anything that I haven't in this post.

Rick Gendreau